Saturday, August 02, 2008

I love sunflowers..............


We have three volunteer sunflowers coming up this year, and this is the first one to bloom. This one is just opening up and I think is beautiful. I love to drive down a road and see a field of sunflowers in bloom. I would give anything if we had enough room here for a field or two of them.
My gathering room is decorated in sunflowers. Many of the items have been given to me by friends and I love each item.
These past few days have been a bit sad, as a very dear friend has passed away. Nancy went in the hospital on Thursday, July 24 for heart surgery. On the following Tuesday she had a massive stroke and fell into a coma and passed away yesterday (Friday) at noon. Several of my sunflower items have come from Nancy and she always crocheted me bright yellow dish cloths for my kitchen. Nancy and I became friends when I joined TOPS. She was the treasurer and always kept us on our toes with our dues and little extra's we paid to the club. In 2006 when she had her knee replaced, she asked if I would fill in for her as treasurer and I agreed, of course, I was told it would only be for a few weeks........well, I'm still treasurer, Nancy never wanted the job back. She would tell people, "well, Barb, does such a good job, why would I want to mess things up". Nancy will be greatly missed by everyone in the club, as she was just one of those persons that always had a smile and a pleasant word for everyone. She always sat in the same place at every meeting, always went to lunch with us after the meetings, and always traveled with us to out of town meetings. She was also a wonderful Christian lady. I will miss her greatly.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Good morning Barbara. Thank you for sharing a photo of your magnificent sunflower. It's just beautiful!

I am so sorry to read about your friend, and I know you will miss her. Hopefully fond memories will overcome the sadness in the near future.

Hugs to you!

Nancy said...

Bsrbsra,
I am so sorry to hear you lost a good friend. It sounds like you will have many memories of her.
Your sunflowers are pretty. I tried to grow some from seeds with no luck. Walmart had some plants on sale and I didn't notice them until we were driving away. I should have gone back but oh well.
Have a peaceful day today.
Nancy V

Heidi said...

I am so sorry you lost your dear friend. I hope that sunflowers will become extra special in a way to remember her. Perhaps each time you see one, you will think of Nancy and her smile being inside that beautiful flower.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Hi Barbara,
I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend, Nancy. Take good care.
Tanya